Green has a new meaning…..
- The one item that will gain a building the most LEED points is the distance the material is transported, from production facility to jobsite. The maximum distance material can travel is 500 miles. Did you know that 500 mile radius to Mankato, Minnesota can take you North to Winnipeg, Canada; South to Topeka, Kansas; East to Chicago, IL and West to Rapid City, SD!
- Materials are locally obtained. MKS owns quarries that are all within five miles of our manufacturing and production facility. We are able to send shipments to customers using either rail or truck.
- To be classified as a LEED building material, the material must be healthy for the interior environment and not produce any indoor air quality problems. MKS has zero emissions and no fibers are released from the manufacturing of dolomitic limestone. We use a wet process which eliminates dust from the cutting process. During the finishing process we have installed state of the art filtration and breathing apparatus equipment. We have provided extensive training for our finishing line staff.
- Materials must be healthy for the natural environment. This is taken into consideration during the mining process and how the stone is cut and removed from our quarries following ecological guidelines.
- Long lasting materials. Dolomitic limestone is a natural product that will last hundreds of years before needing to be replaced. Dolomitic limestone is the most durable of limestone’s – it has a high magnesium content that contributes to the stone being a less porous and stronger product. This adds to the longevity of the product in both exterior and interior applications.
We want you to know we are committed to our environment and the health and well-being of our employees, neighbors and all people.